Friday, September 19, 2014

Leading in Silence

"Wherever you are, be all there" - Jim Elliot, martyred missionary.


          I recently started a journey. Only six short weeks ago, I elected to be the shoulder, the supporter, the mouthpiece, the entertainer, the rule keeper, the (right) rule breaker, the mother, and the sister of a lovable and loud group of newly minted adults; I became an RA. Along with the busy days and long nights, I have found a unique ministry in which every part of my being is useful. Whether it be counseling through laundry, boyfriends, or the greater mysteries of life, I am blessed by the opportunity to share my life with 800 other students, each of which have already taught me more than I will ever teach them. 

         As part of a class assignment, I was tasked with reading through "The Revolutionary Communicator" by Jedd Medefind and Erik Lokkesmoe. Each chapter is dedicated to a different aspect of communication within the context of Christ-like leadership. Christ sets the example, we follow. The first chapter address the importance of listening in communication. The chapter suggests that truly and actively listening not only provides us with a better understanding of those around us, but allows for us to make someone feel heard and important. 

Thinking back to the times when someone has talked with me through a difficult situation, from a minor breakup to a major tragedy, I am reminded that my place in the matter is not solely to advise, console, or fix; my role is to listen. Many times, by merely listening, I have seen a person come full circle and produce their own solution to their problem. While being truly attentive does take practice and discipline, it is far less work than riddling out others’ problem when ultimately they know the answer which they seek. Strangely enough, at the end of a conversation, I am often thanked for my help when all I have done is listen.


"To listen is an effort [...] just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky, composer.


I recognize the value of being present far more now than I ever have before. Hourly, I receive emails, text messages, phone calls, calendar reminders, and countless other social media notifications all requiring my response. Does this kind of personal demand make me feel overwhelmed? Yes. But it also makes me feel needed and important. When I respond to an email promptly, I view myself as responsible, reliable, and valuable. My culture reenforces these feelings, encouraging me to purchase even more apps and planners to accommodate more and more events, meetings, classes, and programs. In all the chaos of productivity, is it possible that I stopped listening to my classmate’s weekend plans? Did I forget to wish someone a verbal “happy birthday?” Was I too busy to notice the perfect day my Creator made for me? 


As long as I chase after the illusion of importance, I will continue to forget the reality of existence. 


In response to life's demands, the chapter listed different strategies for leading a more engaged life. Most simply, we should practice actively seeing, hearing, and expressing what we see in the world around. Many people struggle in finding a sense of meaning to life. I would suggest—and I think this chapter supports this—that ministry is all around us. Without ever leaving our communities, each and every person has a chance to impact the one sitting, driving, or shopping next to them. Living with intention creates a life of purpose. While remaining silent may contradict the inner speaker's desires, the lasting impact is worth the wait.


"Attentiveness must flow sincerely from the heart. When it does, new life always follows." - Medefind and Lokkesmoe (p. 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment