Tuesday, August 2, 2016

5 Reasons to Become an English Major

I wanted to post something of an encouragement to the soon-to-be college students who are slogging through a mire of major life choices; one of the hardest being where to go to college and what to study. Unfortunately, I can't make that decision easier. But I can say that if the English major is up for consideration, there are plenty of reasons it would be a good idea. So here is a--by no means exhaustive--list of reasons to be an English major:

 

1. If you value individuality.


Most of the English majors I know are incredible individuals. They are the kind of people who are not afraid to sit and talk with anyone because they see people as individuals worth getting to know. They are into backstories and care about context--no person is entirely what they seem on the surface. The English major I know are all distinctly different yet found a common ground in the love of the language. There is truly no stereotypical English major (aside from perhaps a verbose vocabulary).

 

2. If you can't spell.


One of the most inaccurate assumptions of English majors is that we can all spell intrinsically. I am a terribly speller, yet here I am. My advice remains: read the dictionary in your spare time and use the Google search bar when the words get tricky.

 

3. If you have something to say.


Being an English major comes with--of course--the burden of essays. Lots of essays. But by my senior year I found that I could create an essay on any topic because I had a central message to convey. If you have voice and need the medium to express it, essays can turn from an assignment to a resource for expressing intelligent thought for others to appreciate. It's actually quite fun.

 

4. If you have been mentally editing this post for grammar and content mistakes.


All English majors are not Grammar Nazis. But we do care about using this language correctly for the purpose of effective communication. Grammar was not created by the grammar gods; it is found naturally in our language. As English majors, it is our job to search it out and protect it like a delicate growing flower that it is. We are the gatekeepers of the history, culture, and progress of our language. So pardon us that we care to do it right.

5. If you want to learn stuff.


When I started in my college's program, I had no idea the extensive subjects my major would cover. I assumed the major was all reading and writing, not knowing that we would discuss public policy, social justice, current events, history, pop culture, psychology, relationships, family structure, dreams, and so much more on a regular basis. To walk away with a degree in something which gave you a clearer perspective on the world and humanity could never be a bad idea. That perspective remains a steady companion regardless of jobs, career, or season of life.

No one can tell you what to do perfectly, or divine your life's true purpose--not even yourself. But what you can do is try something that will prepare you for the world, develop your selfhood, and introduce you to concepts and ideas that will fascinate you your whole life long.


1 comment:

  1. I heartily agree with all of these. Especially learning all sorts of stuff and speeling :)

    ReplyDelete